Employer's Agent is used to describe an agent acting on behalf of the client as the contract administrator for design and build contracts.
In addition to their role as contract administrator, the employer's agent may also carry out other tasks on the client's behalf prior to the award of a contract, such as co-ordinating the tender process, co-ordinating the novation of consultants, collating contract documents for execution, implementing change control procedures and so on.
After the contract has been awarded the employer's agent's role as contract administrator may include:
- Issuing instructions.
- Co-ordinating the review of information prepared by the contractor.
- Managing change control procedures.
- Reviewing the progress of the works and preparing reports for the client.
- Validating or certifying payments.
- Considering claims.
- Monitoring commissioning and inspections.
- Arranging handover.
- Certifying practical completion.
- Bringing defects to the attention of the contractor
- Issuing the certificate of making good defects.
- Agreeing the final account.